Caramelised pear, banana & sourdough starter loaf
This recipe is just another way of using up your sourdough starter, it will also give your bread an extra lift.
• 150g self-raising flour
• 100g Wholemeal spelt flour
• ½ x tsp sea-salt
• ½ x tsp baking soda
• 130g dark brown sugar
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 100g Sourdough starter
• 3 x eggs beaten
• 2 x mashed bananas
• ½ x tspn baking powder
• 2 x tbsp greek yogurt
• 50g melted butter
• 25ml rapeseed oil
• 1 x 2lb loaf tin lined
• ½ x sliced pear
• 1 x medium banana sliced at an angle
• Few flaked almonds
- Sieve all the dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- Blend all the wet ingredients together. Mix both the wet and dry until well combined and leave to stand for 20 minutes.
- Make the caramelised pear & banana by melting 75g caster sugar with 50g water and simmering gently until it starts to turn a golden colour around the edges, add in the half sliced pear & sliced banana, mix until coated, and cook a little further, add in a splash of water if it starts to brown too quickly.
- Pour the caramel mix into the loaf tin, sprinkle with flaked almonds and then pour in the banana bread mix.
- Bake for approx. 40-45min @ 180c / gas 4, check if its cooked by inserting a skewer, – it should come out clean. Remove from the tin and allow to cool before slicing.
If you prefer you can pour the caramilised pear & banana on top of the mix and then bake, just keep a eye on it so that it does not burn. I like to serve mine with greek yogurt or cream fraiche to balance out the sweetness.