Slow cooked pulled bacon with chorizo, & black bean chilli
This is my take on a state-side classic, using Irish bacon joint and local wooded pig chorizo. Just in time for your Superbowl party, pop it the oven early afternoon and it will be ready for your late-night feast, and a few of your favourite Irish or American beers. Don't worry if you do not have time to marinade overnight, it will still taste great.
• 1.2-1.6kg Bacon joint any excess fat removed
• 125g Sliced chorizo
• 2 x Onion roughly sliced🔪
• 2 x Cloves garlic, chopped
• 3 x tbsp Dark brown sugar
• 500ml of Apple Juice
• 300ml water
• 1 x tbsp Miso paste
• 2x tbsp Balsamic vinegar
• 1 x tbsp Soy sauce
• 1 x tbsp Worcestershire sauce
• 1 x tbsp Treacle
• 2x tsp Smoked paprika
• 2 x Chillies split down the middle; seeds removed🌶
• 1 x tsp Ground coriander
• 1 x tbsp Tomato paste
• 1 x Can chopped tomatoes
• 1 x Can black beans drained
- Blend all the marinade ingredients together by whisking, place the meat in a suitable container or ideally in a zip-lock plastic bag and refrigerate overnight, turning the bag or meat in the container just before you go to bed.
- To cook, place onions on bottom of roasting tray, put meat on top, pour over the marinade, then cover with parchment and tin foil and seal well, place in pre-heated low temperature oven 120/c gas ½ and cook for 7- 8 hours. The meat should be easily shredded with a couple of forks, when finished.
- Remove from the oven, take of the foil, and remove bacon and set aside to rest, meanwhile skim off any excess fat from the liquid. In a deep saucepan temper the cumin, coriander & tomato paste in 1 x tbsp rapeseed oil for 1 minute over a medium heat, this will help in releasing the flavour, add in the black beans, can off chopped tomatoes and the rest of the liquid, reduce slightly to a syrup liquid, around about 20-25 min, add in the pulled bacon. Adjust with little extra hot sauce if you like it hot!
- Serve with your favourite sides, of tacos, sour cream, jalapenos, sharp cheddar, tortilla chips & chopped fresh coriander.