Seasonal leaves, Sheep’s Milk Ricotta, drizzled honey, smoky bacon lardons, olive oil & red wine vinegar
Creamy & mild, this sheep’s milk ricotta is perfect with a selection of your favourite leaves, a drizzle of honey for sweetness & salty smoky bacon lardons, finished with some crispy Jerusalem artichokes. & a splash of red-wine vinegar.
Seasonal leaves, sheep's milk ricotta & smoky bacon lardons with drizzled honey, artichokes crisps
Some great local Irish ingredients in this recipe, no better way to kick off a relaxing spring evening with this salad and maybe a glass for your favourite tipple
- 100g Off your favourite leaves, I have used mizuna, mibuna & mustard leaves which add a peppery kick along with some baby spinach.
- 150g smoked bacon lardons 1x tsp oil for sautéing the bacon.
- 150g Sheep’s milk ricotta.
- 150g Rainbow tomatoes.
- 1 x Tbsp honey.
- 1 x Tbsp red-wine vinegar
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 200g Jerusalem artichokes for the crisps or wedges.
- 500ml Rapeseed oil if deep-frying the artichokes for crisps or 2 x tbsp if you are going to roast the artichokes in wedges.
- Sea-salt & black pepper
- If you are making the artichoke crisps slice them on a mandolin slicer or with a sharp knife.
- Heat the oil to 175c and fry in batches, draining each batch on kitchen towel. If roasting, split the artichokes in half lengthways, toss with the 2x tbsp oil on a baking sheet, and roast for approx. 15 minutes until golden and edges are crispy.
- Meanwhile cook the bacon lardons in 1 x tsp oil in a frying pan on a medium heat until nice and crispy, alternatively roast in the oven at 180c/gas 4
- To assemble, place leaves on a large serving plate or platter, scatter over the bacon lardons and crumble over the ricotta and finish of with the artichokes.
- Drizzle with the honey and sprinkle over the red wine vinegar & a drizzle of olive oil
Quick satay chicken skewers
Just something for maybe a weekend dinner, to serve along-side your salad for a more substantial meal
- 4 x chicken fillet approx. 175g each
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 x Tbsp soy sauce
- ½ Tsp chilli flakes if you like a bit of heat
- Grind of sea-salt & black pepper
Cut chicken into strips, approx. three from each fillet. Marinade for 5 minutes with the lime juice, soy & chilli flakes, season, then thread onto skewers.
- 80g crunchy peanut butter
- 1 x Tbsp soy sauce
- 20g Grated fresh ginger.
- 150ml coconut milk Heat all the ingredients in a saucepan over a low heat, stirring with a whisk until all the ingredients are fully incorporated. Add some water to achieve a creamy consistency if needed.
- Cook chicken on a griddle or a frying pan over medium-high heat, turning the skewers every 2-3 minutes on each side until slightly charred, golden & cooked through.
Lemon balm & lime lemonade
- 1 x large lemon & lime juiced.
- 100g caster sugar
- 150ml water gently heated with the sugar to create a syrup. Allow to cool.
- 10g lemon balm leaves & stalks.
- 1.Blend lemon & lime juice with lemon balm in blender and strain.
- Mix with the syrup and dilute to your taste with sparkling water.