Simple & easy blackcurrent ice- cream with you own crunchy sugar cones
Lying around in the freezer from our garden’s Autumn harvest, it was about time we got to work using these little spherical sharp berries, & with warmer weather on the way, an easy ice cream recipe became the obvious choice-and alot of arm twisting from the kids.
And of course, a few sugar cones will finish it off perfectly!
Easy black-current ice-cream
Simple ingredients which make for a silky-smooth ice-cream, you could also try with raspberries and strawberries
- 450g Black-currants (I was lucky to have some left over from our Autumn harvest)
- 200g x Caster sugar.
- 1 x Tin condensed milk
- 600ml Double cream.
- Place the berries in a saucepan with the sugar and bring to a gentle heat until the sugar has dissolved, and the berries have started to burst – remove from heat, cool, puree then pass through a fine sieve.
- In a bowl beat together the condensed milk and cream with a hand-held whisk until lightly thick, fold in the cool fruit puree, place in Tupperware container and freeze.
Crispy sugar cones
No ice-cream would be ready to eat without a crispy sugar cone. These cones have been decorated with some sprinkles to add a little decorative edge, which the kids loved.
- 2 x Egg whites
- 35g Coconut sugar
- 65g Caster sugar
- 50g Melted butter
- 50g Plain flour
- 50g Rice flour
- ¼ Tsp vanilla extract
- 1X Tbsp milk
- Pinch of sea-salt
- Whisk the egg whites with the sugar for 3 minutes, then add in the melted butter, milk, vanilla & sugar- lastly whisk in the flour until you have a lightly thick batter. Leave to stand for 15 minutes!
- Pre-heat oven to 170c/gas 3. Place a silicone mat or parchment paper on a baking tray and spoon on the batter creating a circle approx. 15cm in diameter, bake in the oven for 8 minutes, remove and shape around a piece of tin foil which has been shaped into a cone. Place on a cooling rack and allow to crisp up.
- If using sprinkles place on top of the cone before placing in the oven, when taking it out of the oven flip it over so that the sugar sprinkles are on the outside.
- 2 x egg yolks.
- 40g Caster sugar.
- 150ml milk gently heated.
- ¼ x Tsp vanilla essence.
- Whisk the egg yolks with caster sugar & vanilla until slightly thick and creamy.
- Pour in a small amount of the warmed milk and whisk through, then whisk in the rest of the milk, return to the pan and gently heat-stirring constantly, until the mixture coats the back of your spoon, do not allow to boil as this may curdle the eggs. Leave to cool then place in a jar with a lid and keep in the fridge for couple of days.