“Cabburrito”- January king cabbage leaves, spiced quinoa, wild rice & lentils-Sweetcorn & harissa dressing with pickled black radish slaw.
Love this time of year, winter vegetables, (Although that may not be the case in your part of the world🌤) yes still plenty on offer, especialy with this January King cabbage sourced from the local organic farm.
Loose leaf cabbage, pale green inner leaves-with outer leaves tinged with purple, sweeter than other varieties and a little more tender.
Great culinary cabbage that can stand up to powerful flavours, diffinitly one of our favourites.
This recipe may seem a little complex, but well worth giving it a shot, add in more spices than the recipe may suggest especially if you like it really spicy, kind of a veggie take on the buritto.
Don’t be afraid to play around with the filling.
Spiced quinoa, wild rice & Lentils
Cabburrito-January king cabbage leaves, spiced quinoa, wild rice & lentils, Sweetcorn & harissa dressing and pickled black radish slaw.
Little bit of prep ahead of time will speed this dish up, maybe the day before you plan to have it-also the morning would be fine as well. So please forgive if the cooking time is for mostly with all the ingredients prepared
• 100g Cooked green lentils
• 100g Cooked quinoa
• 150g cooked wild rice
• 1 x medium onion finely diced
• 2x cloves chopped garlic
• 1x deseeded chilli of your choice
• 2xtbsp olive oil
• 2x tbsp. tomato puree
• 2x tsp smoked paprika
• 2x tsp ground coriander
• 2x tsp ground cumin
• 1x tsp fennel seeds crushed
• 1x medium sweet potato
• 200ml Vegetable stock
• January King cabbage leaves or alternatively, savoy or maybe chinese cabbage
- Pop the sweet potato in the oven & bake until soft in the middle approx. 40 min, remove the flesh from the skins, crush lightly & keep warm, skins can be deep-fried for an extra crispy snack.
- Sweat the onion & garlic over medium heat for 3- 4 mins until soft.
- Add in the cooked lentils, rice & quinoa turn up the heat and fry until nicely browned.
- Add in the spice and continue cooking for 1 minute, then add in the tomato puree & cook for a further minute stirring all the time.
- Add in the vegetable stock & simmer for approx. 15mins until the liquid is reduced to a small amount.
- Steam the cabbage leaves for 4- 5 min I used a pan of simmering water, popped the leaves into a sieve, then placed this on top of the water and placed the lid on top.
- To assemble place cabbage leaf on plate, place on some of the crushed sweet potato, top with quinoa, rice and lentil mix, top with some pickle, and roll up tucking in the edges as you would with a buritto. place on pyrex dish covered with foil, pop in pre-heated oven to heat through approx, 15 minutes.
- You can add on your favourite garnish, extra chillies if you like it spicy, plus a squeeze of fresh lime.
Sweetcorn & Harissa dressing
• 300g Sweetcorn, Frozen or fresh + 50g for scorching
• 1 x Shallot finely diced
• 1 x clove of garlic chopped
• 2 x tbsp. water
• 1 x tbsp. Lime juice
• 1 x tbsp. Rapeseed oil
• 100g Coconut cream
• 1 x tsp Dijon mustard
• 1 x tsp Harissa paste
- Lightly sauté the shallots in 1 x tablespoon oil, for 1min, add in the garlic and sauté for further 30 seconds, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add in the 300g of corn and water continue sautéing for 3-4 minutes, allowing the water to reduce.
- Remove from the heat and cool slightly, place into a blender along with the rest of the ingredients, and puree until a smooth mayo consistency is reached.
- Fry the 50g of corn in in a pan with a small amount of oil, just enough to give the corn a dark golden colour.
- Place into a serving dish and top with the scorched corn kernels
Pickled Black Radish & red cabbage slaw
• 50ml Llewellyn’s cider vinegar (This is a local cider vinegar) choose what is available in your area
• 6 whole peppercorns
• 20ml Tbsp. maple syrup
• 50ml water
• 1 x Tbsp. red wine vinegar
• 100g julienne of black radish (match stick )
• 100g red cabbage cut into julienne, or finely shredded
• 2 x Banana shallots finely shredded
- Blend all the pickling ingredient together, lightly warm in a saucepan, then toss in the radish, cabbage & red onion and leave to stand for 30min, place into a suitable container and refrigerate. Remove peppercorns before service.